Spain is one of the most visited countries in Europe and it is no surprise why. With its stunning landscapes, delicious cuisine and fascinating culture, Spain offers something for everyone. Whether you’re looking for a weekend getaway or an extended vacation, there are plenty of amazing attractions to explore in Spain. Here is a list of the top 9 tourist attractions in Spain that you should not miss out on:
1. Alhambra – This spectacular Moorish palace dating back to the 13th century is located atop Granada’s Sabika Hill. Its grand courtyards and ornate Islamic architecture provide visitors with a glimpse into Spain’s rich history and cultural heritage. The Alhambra also features beautiful gardens filled with exotic plants from all around the world.
2. Sagrada Familia – Located in Barcelona, this magnificent Roman Catholic church was designed by Antoni Gaudi and was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1984. It is famous for its unique architectural style which blends Gothic and Art Nouveau elements together to create an awe-inspiring spectacle that can’t be found anywhere else in the world.
3. El Escorial – This sprawling monastery complex located just outside Madrid was founded by King Philip II in 1563 as a mausoleum for his father Charles V and other members of the Spanish royal family. El Escorial boasts stunning Renaissance architecture as well as lush gardens, an art museum and library filled with ancient manuscripts and books from many different cultures throughout history.
4. Parque del Buen Retiro – Also known as “El Retiro”, this large public park located near Madrid’s city centre provides visitors with a tranquil oasis away from the hustle and bustle of Spain’s busy capital city. It features beautiful manicured gardens, statues depicting important figures from Spanish history, fountains, lakeside promenades and much more!
5. La Mezquita – Located in Cordoba, this historic mosque was built between 785-987 AD during Muslim rule over Spain and has since been converted into a Roman Catholic church by order of King Ferdinand III in 1236 AD after the Reconquest of Spain from Muslim rule . La Mezquita features stunning Islamic architecture combined with Baroque decorations to create an awe-inspiring spectacle that will leave visitors speechless!
6. La Giralda Tower – This 12th century minaret tower stands tall beside Seville Cathedral to provide visitors with breathtaking views of Seville’s skyline (which is particularly beautiful as nightfall). The tower also serves as an emblematic icon of Seville itself which makes it even more special to visit!
7. Poblet Monastery – Another impressive example of medieval architecture is Poblet Monastery located just outside Tarragona, Catalonia . It was founded by Cistercian monks almost 900 years ago and remains one of Catalonia’s most beloved religious sites due to its incredible Romanesque styling featuring frescoes depicting Bible stories along with ornate sculptures adorning its walls inside .
8 . Cueva de los Verdes – Located on Lanzarote island , this incredible cave system dates back thousands of years ago when these volcanic rocks used to be molten lava . Today , visitors can explore its winding tunnels , ground chambers , grottos , galleries , domes , stalagmites & stalactites made up entirely out of volcanic rock formations which make it one -of-a-kind place to visit !
9 . Plaza Mayor – Last but not least we have Plaza Mayor located right at heart Madrid . Built between 1580 & 1619 , this large square has become synonymous with Spanish culture due to its iconic architectural design featuring arcades surrounding its perimeter while being home to several important buildings such as Casa de la Panadería & Palacio Real de Madrid within it ! Visitors can experience a slice of traditional Spanish life here while also enjoying some delicious tapas !
Overall , if you’re looking for an unforgettable vacation experience then look no further than Spain ! From captivating historical monuments such as Alhambra & Sagrada Familia to natural wonders like Cueva de los Verdes there are plenty exciting places waiting around every corner ! So don’t forget your camera because these breathtaking sights definitely won’t disappoint !…